Jean Paul Gaultier Exhibition, Barbican Centre London

 Hi everyone! I was fortunate to be gifted some tickets for the fabulous Jean Paul Gaultier exhibition at the Barbican Centre in London. Lovely blogger friend Kate of Twisted Skirt and I decided to go last Saturday and we met just before midday for our timed viewing at 12pm. 

Jean Paul Gaultier was born in 1952 in Arcueil, a suburb of Paris. He grew up thinking and creating for his future career as a fashion designer and was suitably inspired by magazines, 60s TV programmes and films from the interwar period. Gaultier is self taught and discovered the tradition and skills of haute couture by working at the fashion houses of Pierre Cardin and Jean Patou between 1970-1974. He set up his own company in 1976 with a womens ready to wear line and adding a mens collection in 1983. In 1997 he opened his own couture house showing 2 collections a year and from 2004-2010, 4 collections a year including two other for Hermes. Gaultier is best known for his love and design staple, the Breton stripe. He is also a master worker of denim, tartan and sequins and not forgetting his expertise and precision in using feathers, which see beautiful and labour intensive haute couture pieces that are just totally magnificent and awe inspiring.

I've picked my favourite photos from the collection and could of easily added more- I took around 80 and these made the final cut! I do so hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed the exhibition- I can honestly say he is a true style icon of our times and his clothes are forever inspiring throughout past decades and for decades to come and I would definitely recommend you visiting the exhibition especially if you are a fan of his work, you will not be disappointed. The exhibition also covered his work for Madonna and Kylie Minogue for their world tours-the outfits are just spectacular viewed close up.



The mannequin here has Jean Paul Gaultier's face transposed onto it as did quite a lot of the mannequins throughout the exhibition-it was eerily spectacular!!


How could I not wear my favourite Jean Paul Gaultier baroque embroidered denim jacket and JPG top to see the exhibition??!!





This outfit of biker jacket and tutu skirt is from his first pret a porter collection in 1977- nearly 40 years old but still so inspiring for trends of today












Jean Paul Gaultier used to appear in the 90s cult series, Eurotrash and here is his Spitting Image puppet!!











The shop afterwards was amazing, I really could of let loose with the debit card but decided to be good!!


As I said before, my chosen outfit of the day was my 90s Jean Paul Gaultier Baroque denim jacket, Jean Paul Gaultier body con top (originally a tube dress) and my DKNY black crepe loose fit trousers with black leather flat sandals, all thrifted.

I do hope you enjoyed the pictures and a big thanks to Barclaycard for being able to enjoy this memorable and awe inspiring exhibition.

I hope you all have a really good Easter weekend whatever you get up to!!